Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Little Time Management for Empire Builders, and tired folks. :)


As the name of this blog tells you, I am a 9 to 5 chick. Been that way for 20 years. However, now I am a member of the business owner community, which, by the way, still cracks me up and sorta amazes me, because it was not AT ALL a part of my previous life plan.  So, since I wear these two hats, I find myself in a constant struggle with time.  Certainly, I must do well at my brick and mortar gig that gives me those fancy health benefits and clockwork pays on the 15th and 30th. BUT, what about Nikki’s Magic Wand? Where does that fit in? With these 24 daily hours, I need to be a Manager in HR, a wife, a mom, a grand mom, a business owner, a friend, a daughter, granddaughter and shoot, I need to be ME, when most days, I just want to come home and climb in the bed.

Recently, I’ve been pretty candid about feeling paralyzed in my business. I called out to my other business owners and asked for inspiration. They answered loudly and I’m thankful but we ALL know you have to get off your OWN butt; no one else can do that for you. So, I floundered around a bit but then I made a plan because feeling lazy and unaccomplished is NOT how I get down.

Since I decided that I am CLUELESS about effective marketing in particular and that’s where I need the most help:

·         I took to the net and printed out a wealth of information on the topic.

·         I then printed a calendar with open blocks and put a marketing task or two on each day.

·         I look at my new calendar and see what task I am responsible for that day (today’s task was “Write New Blog Entry” Look at me, checking stuff off! J

·         During a conversation last week, with a dear friend and business owner, I lamented that I didn’t have the time or energy, it seemed, to do all I needed to do on Social Media. I told her that I wanted to Tweet more and update my other pages more often but that I hadn’t found the time. She suggested HootSuite and told me I could schedule my Tweets, so I could write a bunch at once and then just set the day they were to post. Say what now???

·         Off to HootSuite I went and set up 20 Tweets and away they went. They’ve been posting each day while I’ve been sipping tea downtown or having a meeting with my co-workers.


My friend also suggested getting an intern to help me. We had one the summer of 2013 and boy would I like another so if you know of any creative folks who’d like to help, work with, learn from a sparkling winner (LOL!!!!) tell them to reach out to me at nikki@nikkismagicwand.com.

 
At the end of the day, I know, I believe and I will work hard enough to be successful. Just gotta get organized, focused and stick to my new plan! J

 

Thanks for reading!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment